Float Tube

Fishing Gear & Tackle Discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Float Tube

Postby brices123 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:34 am

Anyone have a good or bad recommendation for float tubes? I am a big guy, 6'1", 240lbs. Ouch, it hurts to write that?
I am looking for one that will work best for me from actual users, not the ever-so-eager salesman and my local fly fishing store!
--
Brice W. Samuel
brices123

Re: Float Tube

Postby Jake In Idaho on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:38 am

brices123

I am 6' 4" @ 250 lbs. I use a Trout unlimited Toiaga which works fine and also a Dave Schadden, X2 float tube which looks like a float tube/pontoon hybrid. I am well pleased with the Schadden boat as it keeps my butt out of the water. Most of the time.

Jake In Idaho
Jake In Idaho

Postby Mike_E_P on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:37 am

I went fishing in a raft i found for $10 at the grocery store so I'm sure they would work fine for me =]. I am 40lb lighter ;)
Mike_E_P

Postby flyguy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I have a simple round one. Works but the u shaped ones seem better.
flyguy

Postby Hammerojustice on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:59 pm

brices123 wrote:Anyone have a good or bad recommendation for float tubes? I am a big guy, 6'1", 240lbs. Ouch, it hurts to write that?
I am looking for one that will work best for me from actual users, not the ever-so-eager salesman and my local fly fishing store!

you made me feel horrible about myself... you aren't a big guy... I'm a big guy... hurts me more to say this, but I'm 5'8, 280... so you aren't bad...
Hammerojustice

Postby Inconnu on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Guys especially larger guys like myself as well, the U tubes may not be the best choice. I have two friends (okay well maybe not friends) who have both tipped their U tubes. I float in a Trophy XL the largest tube they have. It is round and I have been caught out in whitecaps on a large lake and never came close to tipping. Don't worry about your size for now, just worry about being safe and wear an inflatable PFD there are the SOS style that will work just fine. You do not want to get caught in the middle of a lake with a leak, even a pinhole leak, it will not go well for you and then there are mad beavers, but that is another story. :D
Inconnu

Postby Irish on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:25 am

Outcast supper fat cat

Irish 6'4" near the 280 mark.
Irish

Postby Acadianfly on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Down here in Cajun country we find it best not to dangle our feet in the water... gators... ;)
Whenever I need a psychiatrist, I go fly fishing, holding a boat to be superior to a couch any day of the week. --Havilah Babcock
Acadianfly

Postby Tropic on Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 am

I like using the Outcast Super Fat Cat - LCS on some of our water. I am 6' 2" and 220 lb. so this keeps my butt dryer and easier to move about. But, here in Costa Rica I usually spend a while checking out the water for possible resident crocs since I have had some very bad experiences with them in the past. No more dangling legs with fins in unknown tropical waters.
Tropic

Postby Fly Goddess on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:11 pm

I am late on this one, but I will say either the H3 or the Navigator II by North Fork Outdoors.
If money is an issue, I have heard from several Larger Gentlemen that the Daytripper works great for them.

The Thing I like most about the Navigator II is it is a 9' "V" tube, no frame and packs very small, optional shelf so you can add battery and motor (the back has a zipper to stick the motor through) or OARS. It is the best of all worlds and with the intro of the Outlaw and the X5, I bet you can get a good deal on one.
Fly Goddess

Return to Fishing Gear & Tackle