First fly casts

Fly Fishing and Tying discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

First fly casts

Postby yankeepride on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Well, after 30 years of spin-cast fishing, I finally gave fly-fishing a whirl. It was in a small pond/large pool from a mountain stream in Utah (where we were elk hunting), and since I got my bull on the 2nd of 3 days, I grabbed the fly rod at the cabin and decided to test this thing out.

The tree overhang was a big challenging, making it difficult to get to the far end of the pool, but that instead forced me to learn to roll cast. It was fun, and though I didn't manage to hook one up, I did get a few strikes from the miniscule 4 and 5 inch rainbows there. The only fly there looked like it had seen better days, so I was happy to just get a hit. It was entertaining enough that I think I'd like to get a rod next year and learn some more about this style of fishing.
yankeepride

Re: First fly casts

Postby TroutJournal on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:18 am

Sounds fun, better than my first experience. Spent most of the time untying knots. :)
TroutJournal
Site Admin

Re: First fly casts

Postby Fly Goddess on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 am

Right On! yankeepride Is does get better. On small mountain lakes, Renegades, Royal Wulffs and Humbies in various colors, and ANTS! Bunch of other flies plus smaller streamers, but on the High Country, dries are a blast.
Fly Fishing is all I do and have for quite some time now. In fact I find the fun now, in fishing spots that everyone else USES spinning gear.
Fly Goddess

Return to Fly Fishing & Fly Tying