Rockin' Almont with a bunch of buddies!

Freshwater fishing discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Rockin' Almont with a bunch of buddies!

Postby highcountry on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Once a year a group of us heads to Almont Colorado for kokes, and an occasional diversion to area lakes and ponds for various other species. Although we indulge in several events during the year, this is probably the one that is most anticipated. Nonstop action, gorgeous scenery, outstanding comraderie(sp?), and the chance to escape reality for a few days. It ain't quite the same as "being there", but I hope you enjoy the slideshow! Just click the pic, sit back and relax.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." Confucius
highcountry

Re: Rockin' Almont with a bunch of buddies!

Postby TarponJim on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I'll admit that I cringed when your post mentioned Almont and Kokanee at this time of year. I was afraid I'd see some low-life weighted trebles in the pictures.

However, BRAVO to you and your buddies for actually "Fishing" for the kokes in a sporting manner! Outstanding! And nice work on the browns, perch, and brookies too. Looks like a very nice, well-rounded sport fishing trip.

I can't believe Colorado still allows the intentional snagging of Kokanee, and find it even more unbelievable that people actually want to do it. It's very refreshing to see guys taking the high road and sharing it.

I used to fish for kokes in the Blue above Green Mtn. years ago, and I, too, discovered that they will actually strike flies and can be caught in the mouth.
Capt. Jim Williams
www.fishflaminggorge.com
TarponJim

Re: Rockin' Almont with a bunch of buddies!

Postby highcountry on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:52 pm

Couldn't agree more, Jim. This area is located right next to the Roaring Judy Hatchery, is fly fishing only... and catch and release. Now before anybody decides we must be a bunch of high and mighty yuppy type fly only anglers, every guy you see on that video is also a spin fisherman if legal and warranted, however we do not believe in snagging. Yes, it's impossible not to accidentally foul hook salmon that are stacked tightly in small holes, but intentionally doing so is not condoned by us or anybody else that fishes this stretch. If it were witnessed, I suspect a friendly suggestion would be offered, and if that didn't work that angler would be firmly ushered away ;)

I also find it disgusting that it is still legal to snag kokes in a few spots in Colorado, including the Blue above Green Mountain. Seems a bit odd that a tremendous trout stream that is primarily FLO, would turn into the site of mass killings of anything that swims in the inlet every fall. Although it's a gorgeous state with over 3000 different bodies of water to sport fish, the DOW is sometimes behind the times.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." Confucius
highcountry

Return to Freshwater Fishing