Cabelas fly rods

Fly Fishing and Tying discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Cabelas fly rods

Postby chet on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:24 am

There are soooo many choices for fly rods now days.....
I wanted to tell you about my new rod.

I have been using a cabelas sweetwater for the last 12 years, baught it when I was 16! Been an awesome rod, especially for 40 bucks!

But playing with some of my friends rods, I could tell it left alot to be desired! So I went shopping!

Found A combo on sale. Cabelas Traditional II large arbor reel, man those are sweet, cant remeber the name, but it is a cabelas reel, and backing and line and an awesome rod case!!!! 99.00!!
It is a 9'6" 5 wt 2 pc!!! I love it!.....

Im sure its not comparable to some of the $600 plus rods out there, but for me it's the best hundred bucks I've spent in a long while!
chet

Re: Cabelas fly rods

Postby TroutJournal on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:55 am

As long as it works for you and you love it. Agreed, best 100.00 bucks you've spent in a while. :)

Thanks for telling us.
TroutJournal
Site Admin

Postby chet on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I've easily spent that much in flies since then.
chet

Postby Brinx on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:29 am

I've always said, you can't buy a rod on price. Buy the rod you can cast. All rods cast differently and no one casts any rod the same. I wouldn't ever buy a rod without test driving 'em first. If it's the rod for you, it's the rod for you. Doesn't matter brand or price.

Good job,
Brinx
Brinx

Postby Inconnu on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:08 am

The average caster cannot tell the difference between a $300 rod and a $600 rod of similiar actions.
Troutjournal is correct, whatever works well for you is great and make no apologies for it. Good fishing!
Inconnu

Postby Acadianfly on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:02 pm

chet wrote:Found A combo on sale. Cabelas Traditional II large arbor reel, man those are sweet, cant remeber the name, but it is a cabelas reel, and backing and line and an awesome rod case!!!! 99.00!!

The reel is probably a Cabelas Prestige Plus... it replaced the Cabelas CSR reel.
Whenever I need a psychiatrist, I go fly fishing, holding a boat to be superior to a couch any day of the week. --Havilah Babcock
Acadianfly

Postby Mike_E_P on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 am

I like cabelas equipment. and love the store even more! Cant wait to get back into the fly.
Mike_E_P

Postby Hammerojustice on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:17 pm

chet wrote:There are soooo many choices for fly rods now days.....
I wanted to tell you about my new rod.

I have been using a cabelas sweetwater for the last 12 years, baught it when I was 16! Been an awesome rod, especially for 40 bucks!

But playing with some of my friends rods, I could tell it left alot to be desired! So I went shopping!

Found A combo on sale. Cabelas Traditional II large arbor reel, man those are sweet, cant remeber the name, but it is a cabelas reel, and backing and line and an awesome rod case!!!! 99.00!!

Im sure its not comparable to some of the $600 plus rods out there, but for me it's the best hundred bucks I've spent in a long while!

Could you post the specifics on them when you get a chance? I have been interested in getting into fly fishing, but didn't know where to begin...
Hammerojustice

Postby Hammerojustice on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:38 pm

I have a Cabelas light and medium action spinning rods which I put some nice reels on and I love them! caught quite a few fish on them in the last few years, but I have found that the part that I neglect and has the most impact on my fishing is the line I use... I don't like spiderwire... anyone have any good line recommendations for spinning rods (for a light or for a medium action... 4# and 8# or something like that)
Hammerojustice

Return to Fly Fishing & Fly Tying