Backcountry trout

Fishing Gear & Tackle Discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Backcountry trout

Postby NAD42 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 pm

anyone else hike into remote spots for brookies? I fish deep in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY. Beautiful place!!
NAD42

Re: Backcountry trout

Postby Inconnu on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I go back into the foothills of southwestern Alberta though cutts are the fish we find there. I like it when I am the only guy I run into sometimes.
Do you have pictures of where you go without giving it away?
I'll get some of mine on photobucket so I can post.....Kerry
Inconnu

Postby highcountry on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:42 pm

You betcha... and some think I'm nuts, because I spend so much time up in the high country instead of going after big ol' bows and browns below ten thousand feet... until they catch one of these...

Brookies fight like crazy, and are maybe the most beautiful fresh water fish that swim... hmmm... or are cutts? ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." Confucius
highcountry

Postby Mike_E_P on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:38 am

man that is one beautiful looking fish!
Mike_E_P

Postby wetnet on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Yes I fish for natives in NEPA. They aren't nearly that big. Most don't go 6 inches but pound for pound or should I say ounce for ounce where I fish they are the sportsman of the species. Not all fancy jumping like rainbows but inch for inch a powerhouse. They are my favorite!
wetnet

Postby flyguy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm

I love the brookies
flyguy

Postby Hammerojustice on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:48 pm

wetnet wrote:Yes I fish for natives in NEPA. They aren't nearly that big. Most don't go 6 inches but pound for pound or should I say ounce for ounce where I fish they are the sportsman of the species. Not all fancy jumping like rainbows but inch for inch a powerhouse. They are my favorite!

where in NEPA? I'm currently in SEPA and go up to the poconos every now and again to visit my parents summer house... more fishing locations would be greatly appreciated!
Hammerojustice

Backcountry trout

Postby Fisherman on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:58 am

Here In the California high country we take pride on our fisheries.

I go where no man has gone before and the fish swim right up to me and jump right on my hook.
The water is crystal clear, you can see them all and they can see you it makes for great angling.
I was at 7500 feet evelation and no one was around ...it takes a hardy hike to get where no none goes.

Thunder and rain was the theme of the day yesterday but it seemed that every other cast was a rainbow or a brookie.

gone fishing....

Fisherman
Fisherman

Postby Irish on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:27 am

The Bartooths have lots of places to be alone. Some only 3 miles from yellowstone.

Irish
Irish

Postby 79Ford on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:45 pm

highcountry wrote:You betcha... and some think I'm nuts, because I spend so much time up in the high country instead of going after big ol' bows and browns below ten thousand feet... until they catch one of these...

Brookies fight like crazy, and are maybe the most beautiful fresh water fish that swim... hmmm... or are cutts? ;)

Now that is one beautiful fish.
79Ford

Next

Return to Fishing Gear & Tackle