Dry fly verses Nymph

General Trout Fishing Discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Re: Dry fly verses Nymph

Postby wetnet on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 pm

OK to drop the attitude and give the man some slack. I was busting on him as a joke not serious. Not that you don't deserve it Loren! Loren was one of my sons coaches on the Team USA Youth Fly Fishing Team. He did an awesome job with the kids and my son thinks very highly of him as do I. I also took a lesson with him in NY and had a blast being a newbie. He is absolutely someone to hook up with. He has a passion with his craft and shares it, all of it. Not just a fly to use or a place to cast it. I consider him a friend and hope he considers me one as well. It's also just fun knowing him. He is what he is and saying that is what we all should strive for. What I liked the most about him is the first time I met him I didn't think I liked him at all. Until I shut up and and paid attention and I realized that some people can fish, some can teach and it is wonderful to see when they can do both. :thumb:

Postby Stripper on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 pm

O.K.....you had me worried there for a minute. That didnt sound like the Loren I've hear so much about by a fellow forum member on another site :good: I had no attitude, just serious concern :shock:
You can stand next to me and fart anytime, I don't mind, I'm a friend!

Postby wetnet on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Sorry!! Not your attitude mine. I just wanted to clarify that I was joking in the posts. Didn't even manage to do that.

Postby Fly Goddess on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:52 pm

I am passionate about fishing. NOTHING IN THE WORLD LIKE LANDING A FISH ON A DRY.
But, there is allot more out there. Old School is wet and nymph.
There is another forum with another (or maybe the same guy different name) as passionate about WINGS=DRY.

FLY to me means all STAGES of the life. PUPA, NYMPH, CHIRONOMID, EMERGER, ETC.

If one prefers dries, right on and it was mention numbers don't matter.

When I go fishing, I go there to CATCH. Doesn't always happen but not from lack of trying.

FLY also means to me, made from sythetics and Fur and Feathers.
Old English fished nothing but nymphs out of wool and wire...no thread even.

It is possible to catch a BIG fish on surface, but a bigger chance UNDER the surface.

I also fish A lot of stillwater.....dry flies just don't cut it. And yes I have caught fish on a dry on top, (A MOUSE!) plus adams etc. Just not happening very often and the window is real small.
I go on a weekend trip, I can catch them on top early morning and later evening but the rest of the day...I go down under.

Whatever floats your boat! No room for right and wrong.

As far as my FAVORITE....WET FLY but I do love those dries ;)
Fly Goddess

Postby wetnet on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:27 pm

I totally agree! Just because my favorite might be a nymph it is a choice we make and the freedom to chose it. I'd love to catch a lip on a good dry fly hit but just can't seem to see well enough to keep track since I don't use indicators with my dries. I do chose to use a colored backing indicator in line with my tippet and leader because those sneaky browns just don't move too much when they take. It's all good. Wouldn't mind working on my wets for next year. Another fun challenge...... I think? :geek:

Return to Trout Fishing General