Everyone is way too quiet!

General Trout Fishing Discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Everyone is way too quiet!

Postby wetnet on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Hey it's cold here but you'd think some of you guys out west or in the south would have some fish tails or have some fly patterns to share. Anybody here fish New Mexico or Montana? My sons do a tryout for the Team USA in April in New Mexico and helping out with the Youth tryout in Montana in late July. Must be nice to be him. Pa fishing is good and sometimes great depending where you go. Where we live we have lines of cars follow the stocking trucks in the spring which stinks but we do have some very fun and very location protected wild brook trout streams. I know everyone has their favorites but brookies are mine. Inch for inch they have more fight in them than any other trout or should I say Char species, Trout, Salmonoid, Char. Did I get them all? Still always a learning process.

I've been trying to think of a goal for myself this year. I nymph allot so I think I'll work more on dry droppers a bit more and work my way to streamers while praticing getting my casting to a more respectable form. Then I'll work on dries. I actually had someone ask me "Isn't your son on the USA fly Fishing Team?" I said yes. He said" Didn't he teach you how to cast?" OUCH!! He was right, but OUCH!

My brother and I smallmouth bass fish allot. The streams are bigger so I'm hoping I'll get a bit more better technique down.

Loads to learn always. I keep listening and learning and asking questions. Had to order some fly line for lake fishing. I know nothing so I asked George Daniel to help me out. Gosh he's a nice guy. When I told him I'm still learning and didn't understand the list my son gave me he said he is too. Everyday and forever. I guess that what makes this sport so much fun. I don't think I'll ever get bored with it.

Re: Everyone is way too quiet!

Postby TarponJim on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:53 am

Here's a little "Silver Trout" for ya wetnet! Haven't been around any cold water trout lately. These little guys have been around though, and some that go 100 pounds too. We're just getting warm enough again for some more action, after a 2-week cold spell (very cold by south Florida standards).

Haven't been around any of the cold water trout for a couple months. IN April, I have to head back west to the arctic and freeze my a** off again in the snow for two months! Then there will be cold water trout again.

Re-exposure of IMGP5132.JPG
Capt. Jim Williams

Postby muley7mm on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Money has held me back this year normally i ice fish every weekend hopefully it picks up and i make up for it in the spring and summer
"Some are big some are small but all of them was fun to catch"

Postby wetnet on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:42 am

Yes the economy sucks as far as recreation goes. It is a good time however to clean your lines and tye some flies with scrap of feathers and fluff you have leftover. It is warm here almost 50! What a tease PA weather can be. The cold air is coming. ICE! SO NICE!

Return to Trout Fishing General