Unique Fishery! (For my neck of the woods.)

Freshwater fishing discussion

Moderators: muley7mm, TroutJournal, highcountry

Unique Fishery! (For my neck of the woods.)

Postby Acadianfly on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19 am

New Orleans City Park lakes and Bayou St. John, which runs North of City Park and feeds the lakes, is loaded with Rio Grande Perch (Cichlids). After leaving my favorite fly shop, Uptown Angler located in New Orleans, I fished both the City Park lakes and Bayou St. John and caught so many Rio Grande Perch I lost count. The largest was 9 ½” long that I caught with my Orvis Superfine 1 weight. I know it was ditch fishing… but it sure was a hoot!

Speculation is that the Rios was introduced to the lakes and bayous via a pet shop emptying their aquariums or they were washed in from Katrina.

So, if any of your folks are vacationing in New Orleans, be sure and pack a rod!
Whenever I need a psychiatrist, I go fly fishing, holding a boat to be superior to a couch any day of the week. --Havilah Babcock
Acadianfly

Re: Unique Fishery! (For my neck of the woods.)

Postby Inconnu on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:28 am

That's awesome! Really pretty fish! Do they take poppers etc.? i HAVEN'T SEEN THESE BEFORE BUT i would be out ditch fishing if there were fish like that as well! Thanks for sharing!
Inconnu

Postby Acadianfly on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 am

I caught a few on poppers, but caught most on local wet flies called a Jitterbee and a Cap Spider.

Jitterbee - Photo by Larry Offner (me!)

Cap Spider - Photo by Larry Offner (me!)

Whenever I need a psychiatrist, I go fly fishing, holding a boat to be superior to a couch any day of the week. --Havilah Babcock
Acadianfly

Postby TroutJournal on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:14 am

Very cool, thanks for the photos.
TroutJournal
Site Admin

Postby NAD42 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:33 pm

any trout in your neck of the woods???????????
NAD42

Postby Inconnu on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for the pictures. That looks like a nice little cane rod!
Inconnu

Postby Acadianfly on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:05 pm

NAD42 wrote:any trout in your neck of the woods???????????

I'm sorry to say... we don't. That's why I make frequent trips to Arkansas... it's the closest coldwater.

Mountain Home Arkansas
Acadianfly

Postby highcountry on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Very nice, man! Have a buddy who lives in Florida and chucks flies at Peacocks and various cichlids in the canals, when not after bones, permit, and tarpon. Although I'd never leave the Rockies, I am envious of you guys who can experience big cichlids on a fly rod!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." Confucius
highcountry

Postby Acadianfly on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:19 pm

highcountry wrote:Very nice, man! Have a buddy who lives in Florida and chucks flies at Peacocks and various cichlids in the canals, when not after bones, permit, and tarpon. Although I'd never leave the Rockies, I am envious of you guys who can experience big cichlids on a fly rod!

A big Southern Baptist "AMEN" to not leaving the Rockies! The Rockies is on my Bucket List!
Acadianfly

Postby Mike_E_P on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:11 am

Looks like a Texas Cichlid. I used to have one in my fishtank. They are very personal fish and adopt a relationship with there owner. They are very smart and will find a way to tell you when there hunger and stuff. Its really neat!
Mike_E_P

Next

Return to Freshwater Fishing